Cookies from the Heart
An Event at The Ronald McDonald House Near Lurie Children’s
This past weekend, the Julia’s Legacy of Hope Team participated in the Cookies from the Heart event, which is a frequent event at the Ronald McDonald House New Lurie Children’s in Chicago.
About the Cause
The Ronald McDonald Houses provide a ‘home away from home’ to keep families together while their child is in the hospital. Every night, 153 families are able to heal together because of the comfort, compassion and community found at each of our Ronald McDonald Houses. The stay for these families is free during this difficult time, however a daily donation of $10 is encouraged but not required. The homes allow the families to have peace of mind while being close to their loved one. Meals are provided by volunteers that cook in the massive kitchen in the house, and then serve the guests.
The RMDH in Chicago near Lurie Children’s can house up to 60 families, with 5 rooms directly in the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital for NICU/PICU patients.
Within the house, there are family kitchens, where they can store and prepare their own food if they want instead of the prepared meals by volunteers. There is an arcade room sponsored by the Chicago Bulls, a garden terrace where visitors can see a perfect view of the weekly Chicago Fireworks, a library, many living rooms, and play areas. Each guest gets the opportunity to go to the toy room and pick out a new toy for them to keep throughout and after their stay.
The RMDH is funded 25% by the McDonalds Corporation as part of their corporate social responsibility (CSR). The remaining 75% of funding comes from private donors. Each room is named after the donor that sponsors it; each painting has a gold plate under it informing of it’s funder.
JLOH in the House
Cookies from the Heart is coordinated by Ashley McDowell (Coordinator, Ronald McDonald House). The JLOH team travels to the house to bake cookies for those families staying in the house, and if they like to bring to their loved one in the hospital.
Last weekend we made the following cookies:
· Pink Sugar Cookies with Chocolate Candies
· Chocolate Chip Cherry
· White Chocolate Dipped Cake Cookies
· M&M Candies
The team also wrote about 100 valentines that we placed around the kitchen area for the guests to take. Overall our experience was heart felt, and we look forward to going back to the house soon!
Learn more about how to Volunteer at the Ronald McDonaldHouse!